Book title: Teaching and Learning Pragmatics: Where Language and Culture Meet
Translator: د. سعد بن محمد بن جديع القحطاني
An understanding of sociocultural context is crucial in second language learning – yet developing this awareness often poses a real challenge to the typical language learner.
This book is a practical language teachers’ guide that focuses on how to teach socially and culturally appropriate language for effective communication. Moving beyond a purely theoretical approach to pragmatics, the volume offers practical advice to teachers, with hands-on classroom tasks included in every chapter.
Readers will be able to:
· Identify possible causes of learner errors and choices in cross-cultural communication
· Understand second language acquisition theories that support their classroom practices
· Develop a pragmatics-focused instructional component, classroom-based assessments, and curricula
· Help learners to become more strategic about their learning and performance of speech acts
· Incorporate technology into their approach to teaching pragmatics